This week while we discuss and discover new technologies in wine marketing this weekend in Wine Country, California during the Wine Bloggers Conference 2009, in Alabama the Beverage Control Board has ordered all Cycles Gladiator Wines pulled from all markets in the state of Alabama as the label has been deemed “pornographic“.
In 2006, the Cycles Gladiator wine label went through complete label approval on both the federal and Alabama state level, but only now in 2009 is it being questioned: According to an article released today, July 23, 2009 in Lagniappe online here:
Bill Leigon, president of Hahn Family Wines of Napa Valley, Cal., said the ABC did, in fact, approve the label when the wine came into the market in 2006, but suddenly changed its mind late last year. He said they were unaware of the new ruling until now when it was deemed pornographic. Leigon said this is a new phenomenon for the company, which has sold more than 600,000 cases of Cycles Gladiator across the United States and around the world since 2006. No one else has complained about the label art, he said.
- For full disclosure, I still work for Hahn Family Wines, owner and winery for Cycles Gladiator Wines.
- Cycles Gladiator has been a Top 10 Value Brand 2 years in Wine Business Monthly (2006-2008)
- Cycles Gladiator Wines have been awarded years of Gold Medals throughout the U.S and beyond.
- Cycles Gladiator Wines have received years of great wine reviews and blog posts: Here (Rick Bakas), Here (Dr.Xeno/WineLog) and Here (Cork’d) among many.
- Cycles Wine Supports Cyclists in the Sea Otter Classic, Tour of California and LiveStrong among others.
- The Cycles wine label won an award: The 2006 from the American Graphic Design Award (by GDUSA, which is funny since it is a vintage piece of art from 1895, France).
It has been centuries that cultures have waged argument and discord over what is art and what is porn. How bizarre after the musical Hair (40 years ago), the Piss Christ (20 years ago), Robert Mappelthorpe (30-40 years established) and Madonna’s Sex (17 years ago) among a broad cannon of erotic and provocative art that we can not agree to disagree…yet still maintain our democratic values. But censorship will continue to threaten freedon when politics, morals and religion is in question. Meanwhile, men and women all over the U.S. are celebrating the freedom of Cycles Gladiator, the bicycle, the human body and a healthy lifestyle.
Let’s raise a glass…Cheers.